Friday, January 14, 2011

I Hate the Color Blue!!!

Perspective, it is something my children give me. One day, my daughter, who was five at the time, refused to listen to me when I asked her to help her sister. After finally obeying, she still had to serve her punishment, which was five minutes in timeout. She begrudgingly sat. However, she decided her timeout would take place in the comfy chair. I made her move to her plastic blue chair in the hallway for timeout, where she turned to screams of “I HATE THE COLOR BLUE!!!” I stood in the kitchen, laughing at my daughter and her irrational anger over the color blue, what I really wanted was her to be remorseful for not obeying her mother. Why is it that when we are in trouble we can find everything wrong to complain about? When the going gets tough the world starts to fall apart around us. We can find something wrong with everything. When my husband comes home late, I all of a sudden hate that we do not have money for the new shirt that I want. When I haven’t slept in days because my baby is confused about day and night, I suddenly hate mornings and nights and just about everything else. I become irrational about life. When things do not go the way I want, I get angry. Just like my 5 year old, I want to stomp my feet and scream and hate the color blue because life just is not fair. So today I need some perspective.

Life has been a little crazy around here. As you can see from above, I have lost a lot of perspective. I am exhausted, overwhelmed and trying really hard to just keep it all together. Keeping my mouth shut as much as possible and praying even more. But, in the midst of chaos, I am thankful for the constants. And my favorite things are the things out of the mouths of my children. They are little treasures that make it all worthwhile and OK--when everything else does not seem to be. So... some perspective
David (3) told me the other day after his nap, “Mom, Jesus loves my heart!” I said, yes he does buddy, but why are you telling me that, where did you get that from. He said, “God just told me that!”
Karis (5) while watching a TV show, “that child is very impressive.” I love to see my children excited and impressed by others—not envious, but encouraged.
Karis (when she was 2!) Told me that she missed Jesus, I asked what she meant, she said, “I miss Him, sometimes he carries me mom.” Really? He carries you? And she responded, “Yes, he does carry me.” All I could think of was, “Come to me all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”Matthew 11:28-30
Anya (8) She is a girl of few words, but my favorite thing about her is her heart – she wears it on her sleeve and often in her eyes that fill with tears so easily. My favorite thing she has EVER said was when she was three “That is just the way God made me!” when told by a neighbor that her butt had a crack in it.– it was said as only a 3 year old can say with a certain conviction of true identity.

No comments:

Post a Comment