Friday, February 4, 2011

The Story of My Life

So, last night at midnight we were awoken to my little boy struggling to breathe and coughing like a seal. He often gets croup, but rarely does he sound like he can't breathe when he is not coughing. And he is crying hysterically. So I did what any normal mom would do, I wrapped him in a coat and headed outside since he is terrified of showers and I have heard crying can make it worse. He did not cry that I was bringing him outside, he just thought I was weird. He looked at me and said, "mom, can we go inside now?" So, we went inside, and tried the shower BUT he did panic hysterically. So, he decided to lay on the couch with his daddy for a while and calm down. We were trying to wait til morning to see if he got any better. We made it until 6a.m. with hourly checks to ensure he was still breathing. Then he came in my room still sounding like an old smoker. I decided we would make it to the walk in clinic at 7 to try to miss any busyness. I loaded up the car with my precious little boy, his blankie, monster guy and we started the 25 minute drive to the doctor. The whole time I am second guessing myself because he is starting to babble and talk with me and sounding a WHOLE lot better. We arrive at the doctor and the lady at the front desk starts asking me these really hard questions like, "When is your sons birthday?" and "What is your phone number?" On a normal day this would not be a problem for me, but being sleep deprived I honestly had no answers for her. It took me three tries to get his birthday right and I never did figure out my phone number. I had to ask her to look up my phone number on her computer. I had tried giving her my sister's number and my husbands, but my number was gone from my head. Once I got all that out and was completely embarrassed we sat for an hour and a half waiting for the doctor. At this point my son is RUNNING around the waiting room, and I am thinking why on earth did I bring him to the doctor in the first place. We finally get called in and are told, "Yep, sounds like croup. But he sounds fine now." "If it happens again, put him in the bathroom with steam" (I mention that my son is terrified of showers-- and the doctor just looks at me like I am crazy) and we are sent home. And my entire day is now thrown off.
So, tonight the plan is if he starts coughing to send him and his dad out for a McDonalds or Taco Bell run and some guy time at 1 in the morning, in hopes that the cold night air will clear him up and they can spend some time bonding.
And so it is, the story of my life... one thing after another, never going quite as planned, to make up the days of my life... But I wouldn't change it for the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment