Wednesday, March 7, 2012

A Recipe

We have maybe watched too many of those documentaries like Forks over Knives. We eat no where near enough fruits and vegetables. And with the onset of Lent, we have decided to go Vegan for the next few weeks. This has included quite a bit of research and thankfully for Pinterest I have been able to find quite a few recipes. One of my favorites right now is a quinoa salad. I got the recipe off Pinterest which linked to this blog Eating for England. I have tweaked it just a little, mostly because I like it as simple as possible otherwise I will not make it and some because I often go from memory and left out a few of the ingredients on accident, so this is my version of the quinoa salad...

Quinoa Salad
1 bag of quinoa (I use this quick bag kind, I like the garlic flavor)
1/2 pint of cherry tomatoes cut in half
1/2 red onion
1 avocado
1 can black beans
Dressing
1T olive oil
1t minced garlic
1 lime juiced

Cook the quinoa according to directions, while it is cooking cut tomatoes in half, chop onion, slice up avocado. I put this in a large Tupperware (so I can put it in the refrigerator and eat it through the week). I then mix the Olive oil, garlic and juice from the lime in a small glass bowl, and pour it over the tomato/onion/avocado mix. When the quinoa is done cooking, add the can of black beans to the quinoa to let it cook up the beans a bit. Then add the quinoa bean mix to the tomato/onion/avocado and mix. I eat it with tortilla chips-- the lime flavored ones are wonderful, and it lasts for 3-4 hearty lunches!

2 comments:

  1. No, they still eat peanut butter and honey usually-- but they are vegan... I will post another recipe for lentil tacos that they LOVE and a black bean, sweet potato quinoa burger that they request soon!

    ReplyDelete