Sunday, April 8, 2012

An Extra Blessing at Easter

This Easter we celebrated with our church all weekend the joyous blessing of Easter. Our church celebrates all weekend with Saturday night being an Easter vigil. The first hour is readings through the Old Testament with music and scripture, starting with Creation and going through the promises of Scripture. And then there is the Holy Noise, when we rejoice that Jesus is risen, there are bells and clapping and cheering and we rejoice and the whole church changes from sorrow and darkness to joy. The cross is changed from being covered in black to a banner of white draped across it and flowers fill the church and banners fall and the children dance. It is a huge celebration and seems to fit how I think Easter should be, a celebration!

BUT the extra blessing this Easter came from my little boy. I believe God is close to children, that they hear Him better sometimes than adults because we are so busy with life. And this little boy that I have been gifted with is the closest thing to joy I have seen in my life. It is hard not to smile when you are around him. And from the time he was a baby I have seen joy burst from him. His AWANA teacher told me last week that he always knows his scripture reading, which I found kind of funny since I never have looked at his book with him or worked on a verse, I do it more for his socialization than anything to be honest. I asked him about it and he said, "they are just in my head, mom." AND this is the boy who always goes up for prayer at the front of the church and frequently asks that they pray for his heart, because he knows he needs a good heart. He asked so much that one of the men who prays with him finally asked us if he has a heart problem. No heart problem, just a knowledge that his heart is what needs to be right with God I guess. So on Good Friday this weekend, we went up to pray at the foot of the cross. I asked him if I could pray with him about anything. He said, "Yes, I want to pray that Jesus makes me alive!" And that was it. My heart swelled as my son reminded me that is just what Easter is about, He died so we can have life, eternal. So we can have new life, we can be alive. So we prayed, Jesus make us alive!

So thankful for the new life God has given me and for the blessing of these little children that teach me SO much about God who is so close to His children.

No comments:

Post a Comment