Friday, October 12, 2012

31 Days of "Things I Learned from my Children" They will do as they see Done







I have been writing about 31 Days of "Things I Have Learned from my Children" and I recently wrote a post here about how running makes me a better mom.  Today the word for Five Minute Fridays over at Lisa Jo Baker's is "Race" This brings up an entirely different reason I run. So for five minutes here are my thoughts on "race."

Start

I started late at the whole racing thing, I was thirty when I ran my first race. It was a 25k, just over 15 miles of running. I had not been a runner my whole life, in fact I could hardly able to make it half of a mile without falling over gasping for air. But as an adult, I decided to start running, to try. I ran a block. I would get up every morning and run one block, then two then three, finally up to three miles. I got stuck there, at three miles. I ran three miles every day for years. UNTIL one day I met someone who said she would train with me for a race. And so we ran together. And I learned the benefit of friends and running. I learned how misery DOES sometimes love company and the joy of setting a goal and reaching it. When race day came, I was all nerves and excitement. We ran the entire race together, and at the end I was exhausted and thankful to be finished.There was nothing remarkable about the way I raced, it was very average. But then I found my family. And my three beautiful children and husband were PROUD of me. I had finished a race.

Days later the girls were playing a game of pretend. One would cheer as the other came around the corner RUNNING her own race. And I realized how significantly even these things I do, for myself are impacting the little minds of my children. That every day I have an opportunity to set an example, to build in them something good. And, they will do as they see done.

STOP

6 comments:

  1. Stopping by from Lisa-Jo's. Love the post. It is fun to see how everyone looks at the word. Have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by...I agree, I love to read all the posts and what the word triggered in different minds.

      Delete
  2. Oh...sometimes I wish that my children didn't copy some of the things I do! What an accomplishment you made and an impression on your children. A good impression...on health, and mommy doing something good too. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are plenty of things I wish my children did not copy as well! Thanks for stopping by and the encouragement!

      Delete