Friday, November 2, 2012

Five Minute Fridays... "Roots"

Five Minute Fridays is when you get a word from over at Lisa Jo Baker's and write on it for five minutes, WITHOUT editing, then link up and ABSOLUTELY have to have to comment on the post before yours!
Today's word is, "Root"

Start

My mind immediately goes to all the wiry tendrils reaching into the ground. The ones that I try desperately to pull up when I am actually working on weeding my garden. Why is it that the roots of weeds seem so much more set in the ground than those of my delicate flowers? Weeds and established trees, those are my greatest barriers when trying to clean up my garden. Trees are okay except they do not belong in my garden.

And I cannot help but draw some parallel between my garden and my heart, where sin has rooted its way in. Somehow the wiry tendrils of sin have wrapped themselves so tightly around my heart that is seems they might be impossible to pull out, or if I do, maybe it will rip my heart out with them. I am holding so tight to the things that I think are making my life so great. And the tree is so established, not necessarily sin, but has made itself at home that I have grown comfortable I have not had room to plant flowers or even the thought to.

There is no room then for the roots of delicate flowers that are just starting. Somehow those take longer to settle in and wrap around my heart. Maybe if I spent more time growing them they would be set firmer, I am not sure, but in the mean time...

the ugly wiry roots I am working on pulling out.

Stop

5 comments:

  1. Your post reminds me of the sower and the seeds parable in the Bible. What an awesome reminder that we need to not let sin take root in our hearts. I will praying that beautiful flowers will begin to grow as you continue to pull at the sin roots in your heart. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful heart felt post. We can all relate.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Have a Beautiful weekend.
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you can relate, thanks for the comment!

      Delete