Friday, January 4, 2013

Five Minute Friday... Opportunity


Five Minute Friday is when you spend five minutes writing on a word (Lisa Jo Baker gives a word each Friday) and lots of people write their thoughts on that one word. The Rules are... you write for five minutes without editing, and then publish it. And then you absolutely comment on the person before you who wrote.  So here is today's...

Opportunity

Start
The moments that we might let pass by, missing in a moment an opportunity. An opportunity to hold a child who is getting to old to always let me hold her because she is hurting over something. She pushes her eyes in hoping she will hold in the tears, and I hold her close hoping she will let them fall. I hope I will have an opportunity to hold her again while she is still small enough for me to do it. I put down my coffee and just hold her for a minute, hoping this will not pass.

I am always looking for an opportunity, a break, but then I miss the little ones here. The ones when questions are asked from no where, "Mom, have you ever had a friend that is not your friend anymore?" Brush it off or stop and talk? Make room for words that might impact a child, fears or hopes at that moment. I missed that opportunity, I kept talking trying to keep it light. But I have thought of the question since then and hope I get a chance to go back there.

Opportunity in my life is usually a moment not some big event. It is usually a little thing that could make a big difference in the little worlds I live in .
Stop


4 comments:

  1. "Opportunity in my life is usually a moment not some big event. It is usually a little thing that could make a big difference in the little worlds I live in."

    What a great point! I kept thinking of "opportunity" as this big, looming thing you go after, but so often it's the things that come to you and how you respond to them.

    What a sweet and sad question from your daughter. I'm sure you'll have an opportunity to talk about that again soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, you are right, I will have to find an opportunity to talk with her again soon!

      Delete
  2. As I read about "opportunity" I see how closely "choice" relates. When opportunities arise, we have a choice whether to take them or not. Thank you for sharing about a missed opportunity. I hope you will go back and answer that question. In this case, I don't think you have to wait for an opportunity, you can always make one. Blessings!

    Christy @ A Heartening Life
    www.ahearteninglife.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christy, Thanks for stopping by! You are right! Opportunities can DEFINITELY be made, thanks for that reminder!

      Delete