Friday, April 26, 2013

A Friday Update

A Friday update....

Somehow life has taken over my hours, in a good way. I have been busier than I could imagine being the past two weeks.
Anya and Karis have decided to join swim team. I had told them we were waiting a year before doing any extras, but we have been here almost a year, and it is an insanely good "deal" for a sport, so I have caved. However, during try outs, they were placed in different classes, which meant a week of two hours of swim team practice, four days a week, squeeze in horseback riding, finishing up our homeschool co-op and Bible Study, and my moments of rest were far between.

Add in there, we have started the homestudy phase of the adoption. A homestudy consists of first papers upon papers. Nathan and I each had to answer twenty one pages of information on ourselves and our families. It is incredibly personal, the result was over thirty pages of answers each that covered both of our lives and histories. This along with fingerprints and background checks and pictures of our house and family make up this gigantic file that the social worker reviews. The social worker then meets with the us over four meetings, one as a couple, one with me, one with Nathan and one to see our home. The meetings cover anywhere from two to four weeks and then we wait as they write the report. I had my second meeting with our caseworker yesterday, so we are half way there. It was my individual meeting and I left thinking, this woman knows more about me than just about anyone in the world. What an incredibly invasive process, although I kept thinking in actual birth, the checkups and doctors appointments get quite invasive in other ways. And it is all worth it, for these children. Our last two homestudies are next week.

This week after a crazy last I thought would calm down, swim team had a week off before actual practice started, the co-op was done and kids were fighting colds, so I stayed home from the nursing home visit our Bible Study was doing with the littlest ones. But things kept busy. There was a parent meeting for swim team and a book club I am starting with some other ladies, and I had to finish the book and clean my house somewhat since they were coming over, and there is a race I am training for this weekend, a half- marathon in Oklahoma City. The race is a memorial for the Oklahoma City Bombing that happened eighteen years ago. And it seems appropriate to be run after what happened in Boston less than two weeks ago. I am excited to be running with friends, and to be racing after years of not being able to.

We are also getting ready to be featured on a blog as the family of the week. It is this incredibly great idea. Give1save1 is a blog that features five parts of the world, domestic, Caribbean, Africa, Europe and China. They feature a different family each week and ask you to give a dollar. Just a dollar, but if a few thousand people decided I can give a dollar, it makes a HUGE difference. If a few thousand people said, each week I am going to give $5, one to each family, each week, that is $20 a month, a few thousand people giving $20 a month, can make a difference in adoption. It is a brilliant idea, and we are excited to be part of it. I will be writing more about it in the next week, but the week of May 6th is the week we are being featured for Europe, so we need a family video. And we are working on a family video.

Nathan is in his final week of teaching before finals start next week. Then he is teaching May term. And if you have not heard he is making a film this summer, "Killing Poe." So most of his free time is spent story boarding and fundraising. Here is a link if anyone has missed it.

Life has been full, but oh so good. I cannot tell you how much I have to be thankful for, I feel so blessed, especially on the days I am tired because those are the days I know I spent my time, not wasted it.


No comments:

Post a Comment