Sunday, May 12, 2013

Happy Mother's Day!

I am thankful to be a mother and for all the blessings that come with it, BUT more than that I am thankful for my mom.

Today, I want to celebrate my Mom. She would not fit the "Better Homes and Garden" stereotype of the perfect mother, if they have one. But, she is the perfect mom for me. When I was a child, she put up with my ridiculous ideas that I, in my naivete, thought would be helpful - like making her audio tapes with my voice, encouraging her. I still wonder what on earth I was thinking, but she seemed genuinely thankful. She patiently put up with my preteen, teen and young adult fits - probably my toddler ones too, but I do not remember them. I do not remember my mom ever complaining. She laughed with us frequently, and even to this day, if my mom, grandma, sister, and I get together, there is almost guaranteed to be laughter that leads to tears filling my eyes

I am thankful my mom knew her priorities and would never drain her bank account for my whims for designer jeans or shoes. She was, however, more than willing to find a way for me to see the world. She gave me wings and even sent me, at age eleven, to France on an exchange program. My mom planned vacations, camping every summer, and always supported me in my adventures. I remember thinking what an amazing mom she was during the first time she really took me shopping. It was so I would have gear for a summer backpacking trip. We never went shopping for prom dresses, but backpacking gear, that was worth time and money! She gave me memories to last a life time.

My mom and I look alike in a lot of ways, but we could not be more different in most every other way. Her love is constant though.

Thank you, mom, for being a woman I can admire - strong, brave, compassionate, adventurous, wise and thoughtful. Thank you for all you have given me and done for me.

I love you mom!
Happy Mother's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment